Custom Media is a multiple award-winning, bilingual, digital content-creation and communications agency. For 15 years, we have helped foreign businesses succeed in Japan and Japanese firms abroad. With a skilled and enthusiastic multinational team, Custom Media blends the benefits of diversity with global best practices and customer engagement for maximum impact and our clients’ entire satisfaction. We help bridge the gap between global brands and the fickle, demanding Japanese market with international perspectives, innovation and extensive local knowledge.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Project Manager to join our dynamic agency. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in managing creative projects from inception to completion. This role is critical in managing client relationships, coordinating with internal teams, and ensuring timely delivery of high-quality projects. You will need to be highly organized, proactive, and capable of thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Oversee and manage a diverse range of projects, including graphic design (branding, collaterals, print, brochure, book, print campaigns), digital design (ad assets, infographics), website design and development, content creation (for websites, books, advertorials), and event production
- Establish and maintain processes to manage the project life-cycle, setting project quality and performance standards, and assessing and managing risk across multiple projects
- Coordinate with a team of 15 production staff and collaborate with the Creative Director to ensure projects remain within scope, schedule and defined budgets
- Utilize project management tools to monitor and assign resources appropriately, streamlining project efficiency and maximizing deliverable outputs
- Monitor and maintain project scope of work, engaging in discussions with the team regarding any out-of-budget client requests. Collaborate with the Creative Director to explore alternative solutions and estimate work hours, then communicate these findings to Account Management for further negotiation with the client
- Deliver weekly and quarterly project reports to clients, guaranteeing prompt and precise updates on project milestones and progress
- Spearhead client meetings and progress presentations, maintaining thorough records of essential discussion points and action items, while partnering with the Creative Director to efficiently present project advancements and outcomes
- Comprehend client requests and effectively relay them to the production team, ensuring the team’s expert recommendations are communicated back to the client
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships within the agency, ensuring effective communication and collaboration across the team
- Support the Creative Director in project alignment
Qualifications & Experience
- Undergraduate Degree in Business, Marketing, Project Management or a similar field
- A quicker learner, able to work and think independently and flexibly
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to follow instructions/company processes, and communicate effectively
- Ability to solve problems with creative solutions and sound judgment
- Proficient in English and experienced in a multinational environment; proficiency in Business Japanese is required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing diverse projects in a creative agency, focusing on innovation and customer-centric solutions
- Industry certifications such as PMP, CSM, PMI-ACP, PRINCE2 Practitioner, or CAPM is a plus
- Technologically adept, with experience in utilizing project management tools (e.g., ClickUp or similar platforms)
- Comprehensive understanding of the agency’s services and excels in conveying client requests and professional advice between clients and the production team
- Ability to prioritize, allocate and oversee multiple projects with sound judgment
- Self-driven, adaptable and maintains goal-oriented and positive mindset
- Enthusiastic collaborator, keen on contributing insights and welcoming feedback
- Attractive salary negotiable based on experience
- Professional career and life coaching, training, mentoring
- Generous company share appreciation rights scheme
- Full exposure to all aspects of our business
- Network of established professionals and senior leaders
- Friendly, comfortable environment at the new Cambridge Innovation Center Tokyo
- Transport allowance
- Work from home allowance
- Social insurance and benefits
- Paid vacations
- 9:30am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday
- Work from home and / or office flexibility
If you’re a professional with a passion for creative projects and are excited by the idea of leading and collaborating with a talented team to deliver exceptional results, we’d love to hear from you!
Please apply with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining what about this position appeals to you. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. No telephone calls please.
Our agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.